Chief Operations Officer/Chief Financial Officer
Company: Retail / Retail Stores, Jacksonville, FL
Posted on: March 18, 2019
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to expand the traditional COO/CFO role and be an active member of the senior leadership team with the accountability for the operating results of the business. The successful candidate will be directly responsible for finance, legal and operations (warehouse, customer care and manufacturing) but will also need to think as an operator and strategist to help drive the results required by the organization. Based in Jacksonville FL, s/he will manage a team of 5-6 direct reports, 40 professionals and an additional 500 non-exempt hourly associates. The Company business, a subsidiary of bonprix, operates in a very autonomous manner and the COO/CFO will be part of the team that is responsible for driving results and the company strategy. His/her job will feel more like that of a COO/CFO for a standalone company than a traditional subsidiary type of role.
This position will report directly to the CEO of Company, but will also work closely with the members of the Senior Leadership Team. The COO/CFO will be a business partner to the senior team and will need to function both as a financial officer and also as a leader who enjoys engaging with the marketing, merchandise/buying and operations side of the business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Business and Corporate Development : Provide strategic direction and tactical leadership for the development and execution of our growth plans. Focus the business on specific investments and activities that will lead to profitable growth. Balance investments in customer acquisition, working capital (inventory), and systems against near term and long-term ROI.
• Development of the Accounting, Finance and Operations Organization: Assess, develop, recruit, and lead talent in accounting, finance and operations (Warehouse & Customer Care) to build an organization and deliver business results. Assess his/her direct reports and the team(s) through the comprehensive annual review process, establish clear expectations for performance and development plans as needed. Identify areas to upgrade leadership and improve each teams’ capabilities.
• Financial Planning & Analysis: Responsible for both short and long-term planning and forecasting. It is critical that the COO/CFO understands the business and can find ways to convert the large amount of data that is collected for products, customer segments and operational results into strong analytical insights for the business. This will require a focus on forecasting and an understanding of current results and trends in the business as well as the industry and economy and will require hands-on efforts. A partnership with all department leaders (direct and non-direct reports) will be important for the COO/CFO and the company to be successful. He/she will lead the construction of the annual budgeting and planning process that supports the operating plan and strategic playbook for the growth of the business. He or she will also lead the development of the three-year strategic plan for the company. The COO/CFO will be comfortable making presentations to the Senior Leadership team and the Board of Directors.
• Legal: handle all minor legal matters internally with the controller. These would include contracts, certain trademark issues and other basic agreements. Coordinate larger legal matters with Controller and outside counsel as needed.
• Accounting & Internal Control: Oversee and have final responsibility for all aspects of accounting and tax operations including establishment and enforcement of accounting policies and procedures in accordance with IFRS and other statutory requirements, ensuring the integrity of the company’s financial data and external financial reporting (to parent). The accounting oversight is Relationships with the parent Company and external stakeholders: Develop and cultivate strong relationships with all stakeholders including certain team members at bonprix and Otto in Hamburg, Germany, board of directors, and external auditors as appropriate.
• In the first 6 months, the new candidate will need to spend a substantial amount of their time developing a deep understanding of the industry as well as the Company business with an eye toward driving profitability growth for the company.
• This is a flat organization and the position must be comfortable with a non-bureaucratic culture that requires flexibility and a good amount individual contribution.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of driving operating performance and is known as a dynamic leader. The ideal candidate is a strong communicator and can operate effectively in a complex organization. The ideal candidate will have successfully demonstrated the roles and responsibilities outlined above in a world class organization and should possess the following knowledge and technical experience:
• Excellent business judgment and competence to be a true partner to the CEO and the rest of the senior leadership team. S/he will be expected to contribute to solutions to short term and long-term challenges that go beyond just the direct reports of the role. • High level of intellectual horsepower and curiosity. S/he must be able to “deep dive” into the details of the business while staying focused on the big picture. S/he must be able to conceptualize and analyze business situations to anticipate potential challenges to the company (before they occur) and recommend solutions, while identifying key metrics that will help the entire organization to improve performance. Additionally, s/he should be naturally proactive and take ownership for shaping results by demonstrating leadership through influence. • Proven track record in driving cost savings cross-functionally and leading the elimination of non-value-added costs. • Demonstrated technical competencies with a history of using technology to improve performance is sales and operations.
• A minimum of 20 years of broad-based finance and operating experience with a minimum of 10 years at the senior leadership level in a private or public company. Retail and consumer product experience is a plus.
• Bright, energetic, innovative, hands-on, and experienced senior executive. Team building and open communications will be paramount in the success of the individual as well as the ability to forge close working relationships throughout the company.
• A proven record of integrity, ethical behavior, outstanding judgment, and personal balance is critical.
• An accomplished track record of helping his/her management team to lead businesses through dynamic growth and organic change.
• Strong academic credentials are required and an MBA and/or CPA is a plus.
Keywords: Retail / Retail Stores, Jacksonville, FL, Jacksonville , Chief Operations Officer/Chief Financial Officer, Executive , Jacksonville, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!