Data Scientist: Personal Auto Telematics (Remote)
Company: AFMIC American Family Mutual Insurance Company, S.
Posted on: September 13, 2021
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an
organization’s most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences
matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we’re committed to
growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation
that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers’ dreams in
ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and
employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide
opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a
new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next,
you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts
with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team.
Bring your dreams.
R21985 Data Scientist: Personal Auto Telematics (Remote) (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your
geographic work location.
Compensation Minimum:$101,500Compensation Maximum:$162,500
Develops, analyzes and models operational, economic, management,
accounting and other organizational data to quantify the
competitive performance of business segments, evaluate potential
operational changes, and design new approaches and methodologies.
Analyzes organizational data to recommend solutions to new and
complex problems, develops innovative strategies, quantifies the
competitive performance of the organization's operations and/or
markets; models and evaluates the potential impact of changes.
Applies and integrates statistical, mathematical, predictive
modeling and business analysis skills to manage and manipulate
complex high volume data from a variety of sources.
American Family Insurance Auto Center of Excellence (CoE)
Predictive Analytics team is looking for an experienced data
scientist to help build out our next generation of insurance
product using Telematics data. Powered by data and algorithms, we
hope to build a platform that captures people's driving behavior
when behind the wheel and provide positive user experience.
You must carry creative mindset and stay highly innovative by
developing useful features from telematics "Big Data", including
but not limited to hard braking, rapid acceleration, distraction,
night- time driving, and so on. You will collaborate closely with
both business teams (product, state management) and the Data
Engineering teams to build modeling pipeline, iteratively enhance
model performance, and share out results to stakeholders.
- Perform data mining towards telematics data collected from GPS,
accelerometers, and other sensors to understand what’s available
and what are the best data use cases
- Propose appropriate model structure and come up with creative
ways of deriving driving behavior metrics along with contextual and
other supplemental data to predict insurance losses
- Write clean and production ready code that can be easily
maintained and leveraged by engineering and IT teams
- Build and test models and investigate areas for future
improvement with minimal guidance
- Participate in Team's Agile ceremonies (sprint planning,
- Present model findings to audience with different levels of
- Translate business needs into viable analytical solutions
- Collaborate with IT to bring models into production
- Keep abreast of latest relevant technologies and propose new
ones to the team
Education and Licenses
PhD or master’s with at least 2 years of experience or Bachelors
with at least 4 years of experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Superb knowledge with Python or R development in GCP or AWS
- Strong familiarity of GitHub, Docker, re-usable model
- Solid understanding of data science methods (both statistical
and machine learning models)
- Self-motivated, eager to learn, problem-solver and can carry
different hats when collaborating with a wide range of business
functions (IT, Actuarial, Product, etc.)
- Education in Statistics, Computer Science, Economics,
Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Electrical Engineering, and other
- PhD or master’s with at least 2 years of experience or
Bachelors with at least 4 years of experience
- Prior experience in at least one area:
- Insurance Product / Pricing
- Geospatial analysis
- We understand that candidates who meet all the requirements
above do not always exist. If you meet some of them, please
- This position requires travel up to 10% of the time.
Additional Job Information:
- Depending on qualifications, candidates may be considered at
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the
results of applicable background checks.
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a
non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade
secrets, and inventions.
- We are open to hiring candidates to work remotely (anywhere in
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that
support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will
have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing
benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer
a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual
incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student
loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to
support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent
workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Stay connected: Join Our Enterprise Talent Community!
Keywords: AFMIC American Family Mutual Insurance Company, S., Jacksonville , Data Scientist: Personal Auto Telematics (Remote), Other , Jacksonville, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!