Heavy Off-Road Equipment Technician
Company: City of Jacksonville, FL
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Are you looking for a position with a work/life balance? Do you want to earn four weeks off during your first year of employment? Do you want low and no cost health insurance options? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you need to complete your application now. Work for the city you love!!!
The Fleet Management Division is actively seeking a Heavy Off-Road Equipment Technician.
Did you know as a City of Jacksonville employee, you would also have 12 paid holidays and a personal leave day as well? In addition, to health insurance, dental, vision, life insurance and flexible spending plans are also available. City of Jacksonville employees are also eligible for Federal Student Loan Forgiveness after 10 years of public service and on-time payments.
This is skilled mechanical work in inspecting, diagnosing, and repairing heavy off-road equipment. The work requires knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used to repair heavy off-road equipment which involves the use of specialized skills or specialized equipment, which is acquired through a combination of training and considerable on the job experience. Contacts require basic courtesy, tact, and effectiveness in dealing with others, and includes contacts to request or provide information, ask questions, or obtain clarifications. Work is semi-routine in that tasks are covered by somewhat diversified procedures and precedents, but some latitude is permitted to consider the most appropriate method, technique, or procedure to follow; however, the work also involves differing situations requiring comparison of problem elements to reference points and exercising judgment to match the decision. The work is performed in a controlled environment where there are some risks and hazards, but they are known, predictable, and controllable. Physical demands are moderate and primarily consist of standing, stooping, bending, reaching, climbing, walking at work sites for extended periods of time, and lifting and moving objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Operates off-road equipment such as bulldozers, front-end loaders, backhoes, road graders, street sweepers, tractors, traffic rollers, mobile cranes, draglines, track-mounted cranes, crawler backhoes, forklift trucks, mobile air compressors, and trenchers and uses equipment and tools necessary for repairing heavy off-road equipment. Work is performed under general supervision where the work assignments are varied and, although subject to instructions and established work routines, the worker is permitted some latitude to set priorities subject to supervisor's approval.
Examples of Work
* Inspects, diagnoses, and repairs heavy off-road equipment for mechanical defects.
* Performs preventive maintenance such as changing oil, belts, lights, spark plugs, etc. on heavy off-road equipment.
* Performs general engine repair and overhaul such as adjusting clutches, replacing main and connecting rod bearings, etc.
* Troubleshoots and repairs electrical systems.
* Performs general mechanical repairs to systems such as fuel systems, exhaust systems, cooling systems, transmission, and front-end systems.
* Performs mechanical repairs to diesel or propane powered equipment.
* Operates off-road equipment such as bulldozers, front-end loaders, backhoes, road graders, street sweepers, tractors, traffic rollers, mobile cranes, draglines, track-mounted cranes, crawler backhoes, forklift trucks, mobile air compressors, and trenchers and uses equipment and tools necessary for repairing heavy off-road equipment.
* Road tests vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more to determine whether repairs have been completed.
* Writes service requests and diagnoses mechanical problems.
* Prepares and maintains records on jobs.
* Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville's competencies.
* Performs related work as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used to repair and overhaul heavy off-road equipment.
* Knowledge of standard tools and equipment of the heavy off-road equipment repair trade.
* Knowledge of heavy off-road equipment engine electrical systems.
* Knowledge of hydraulic and air operated systems.
* Knowledge of test equipment including volt-ohm meter, dwell meter, tachometer, micrometer, engine analyzer, and transmission pressure gauge.
* Knowledge of the hazards of the work and safety practices and procedures.
* Skill in the use of test equipment including volt-ohm meter, dwell meter, tachometer, micrometer, engine analyzer, and transmission pressure gauge.
* Ability to inspect and determine mechanical repairs needed on heavy off-road equipment with gas and diesel engines.
* Ability to perform preventive maintenance on heavy off-road equipment.
* Ability to read, understand, and apply repair orders and technical manuals.
* Ability to operate tools and equipment.
* Ability to operate bulldozers, front-end loaders, backhoes, road graders, street sweepers, tractors, traffic rollers, mobile cranes, draglines, track-mounted cranes, crawler backhoes, forklift trucks, mobile air compressors, and trenchers.
* Ability to road tests vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more to determine whether repairs have been completed.
* Ability to prepare and maintain records.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
* Two years of education and/or experience in the general repair and overhaul of heavy off-road equipment.
* A valid Class B Commercial Driver's License is required prior to appointment and must be maintained during employment in this class.
* Must qualify for prior to appointment, obtain, and maintain during employment in this class a City of Jacksonville Certification as a Public Driver.
* Depending on assignment, may be required to possess and maintain an X and/or P Endorsement.
* The probationary period for this class is six months. Upon appointment to this class, must possess minimum hand tools as required.
* This classification performs safety-sensitive functions and is subject to pre-employment, random and other drug/alcohol testing programs as set forth in the City of Jacksonville's Drug Free Workplace Policy (0401).
A FULLY COMPLETED ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED.Apply at www.coj.net. Work history is required for all employment/volunteer work in which qualifications are being based. When meeting/basing qualifications on education, a copy of your college transcript, with your social blacked out, is required with your application. Transcripts do not need to be official, but must state your name, the school's name, classes taken, grades received, type of degree, and date degree was conferred.
The application system works best with Google Chrome or Edge with Chromium web browsers. Please try to apply using one of these browsers.Be sure to add coj.net to your safe senders list to ensure you receive email notifications. You may also track the status of your application and see notifications by logging into your account.
Certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and the family members of such service members and veterans, receive preference and priority, and certain servicemembers may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements, in employment and are encouraged to apply for positions being filled.
If claiming veteran's preference, you must attach a DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) or military discharge papers, or equivalent certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs listing military status, dates of service and character of discharge. You must also attach the Veterans Preference Certification Form and if applicable, the additional forms as noted here: http://www.coj.net/departments/employee-services/veterans-preference
If a candidate believes he or she was not afforded veteran's preference, he or she may file a written complaint, within 60 calendar days upon receipt of notification of the hiring decision, requesting an investigation to:
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Attention: Veterans' Preference Coordinator
11351 Ulmerton Road, Suite 311-K
Largo, FL 33778-1630
Keywords: City of Jacksonville, FL, Jacksonville , Heavy Off-Road Equipment Technician, Professions , Jacksonville, Florida
here to apply!