Posted on: September 20, 2019
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications
provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more
than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience,
CenturyLink strives to be the worlds best networking company by
solving customers increased demand for reliable and secure
connections. The company also serves as its customers trusted
partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity
and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that
help protect their business.
Performs varied tasks of moderate complexity requiring the
application of standard procedures and criteria. Responsible for
installation, decommissioning and troubleshooting problems of
network equipment and circuits. This includes the fiber, transport
equipment and all critical infrastructures within. Demonstrates a
degree of experience with circuit provisioning, maintenance &
testing (DS1/DS3/SONET), test equipment, telecommunication
equipment installation and acceptance. Responsible for the outside
plant network in a given geographic boundary, including metro and
long-haul fibers.Job Description
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots and repairs customer and network
troubles. Removes and replaces defective modules, tracks spares and
- Performs site surveys.
- Monitors and Locates fiber routes and executes restoration in
the event of a service interruption, proactively responds to
potential problem areas to ensure integrity of network.
- Installs, provisions, tests, and maintains DS0 through 100G
services, Transport equipment, Signaling, Private Line, and Data
- Responsible for asset management: process deliveries and
replenishes consumables. Coordinates shipping and receiving of
- Operates and maintains tools, test sets, and electronic
equipment including, but not limited to: fiber optic transmissions
equipment, lightwave multiplexing equipment, digital multiplexers,
channel banks, circuit termination equipment, AC and DC power
equipment, GN Nettest OTDR, fiber optic cable locating equipment,
various BER type test equipment.
- Performs preventive/scheduled maintenance and inspections on
equipment and on the critical infrastructure including, but not
limited to: HVAC systems, high-voltage electrical systems, DC Power
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities:
- 2-5 years experience working of Installation, Test, and Turn-up
of a variety of Telecommunication equipment including SONET, DCS,
DWDM, Routers and Switches.
- Strong technical and mechanical background with experience on
the latest generation transport gear, critical infrastructure (HVAC
systems, high-voltage electrical systems, DC Power Plants, etc.),
as well as knowledge of locating fiber optic cable, right-of-way,
- The Tech II has the technical skills and abilities of a Tech
- Must have a high degree of experience and/or knowledge of at
least two of the four major technician disciplines.
- Those technical disciplines are: Transmission (DS1/DS3/SONET),
Switching (circuit-switching/SS7), TCP/IP (routers/higher-layer
protocols), and Outside Plant (Fiber locating, OTDR, Mass Fusion
- Some technical evaluation and fundamental judgment are
required, while building an internal and external network.
- Must maintain site security and cleanliness.
- Must have PC skills and be well versed in Microsoft Windows and
- Ability to quickly learn corporate databases.
- On-call 24x7 on a rotational basis, on stand-by, call out,
dispatch, and overtime are required as dictated by the
- A valid drivers license required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Education Level: High School/GED
- Experience: 2+ years of relevant job experience. Relevant job
experience is described as job experience in similar industry or
job experience with similar essential duties
- Field of Study: Electronics or Telecommunications
- Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities
- Ability to prioritize with good time management skills
- Field Tech - Sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and
crawl; lift 75 lbs.; works in all weather conditions
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Alternate Location: US-Florida-Jacksonville
Requisition #: 214979
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment.
A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all
persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national
origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic
characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation,
gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other
legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do
not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions,
including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits,
discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate
the general nature and level of work performed by employees within
this classification. It is not designed to contain or be
interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties,
responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned
to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change
based on changing business needs and conditions.
Keywords: CenturyLink, Jacksonville , Field Technician, Professions , Jacksonville, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!