Company: North Wind Group
Posted on: October 12, 2019
North Wind Group
The general scope of this position is to perform a broad spectrum
of cost estimating functions, including the development of Work
Breakdown Structures (WBS), schedules, cost estimates, Basis of
Estimate (BOE), cost modeling, and risk analysis. This position
will be responsible for controlling the cost estimate effort
throughout the bid process. The applicant must be able to work with
clients, architects, engineers, subcontractors, and suppliers to
prepare and finalize estimates for a wide variety of construction
projects. Experience with both the traditional Design-Bid-Build and
Design-Build contracting formats is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Coordinate and lead the preparation of complete estimates for
* Act as Estimating Lead in preparation of bid proposals and work
closely with the project development organization to develop
estimates for firm fixed price, cost reimbursable, IDIQ, and
* Create/maintain organized estimate files.
* Prepare estimate basis and assumption documentation, ensure
lessons learned are incorporated, and fully understand the needs of
* Review and incorporate historical data from purchase orders,
subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc., into unit and
* Review the RFP, specifications, design drawings, attend pre-bid
meetings, etc., to determine scope of work and required contents of
estimate. Coordinate with the subject matter experts to develop
additional estimating basis when information is incomplete. Suggest
alternatives when appropriate.
* Take responsibility for all preconstruction correspondence with
all involved parties, including bid invitations, requests for
information, addenda, and scope clarifications.
* Solicit accurate pricing from qualified
subcontractors/vendor/suppliers to ensure adequate competitive
coverage of each estimate line item.
* Organize & attend project site visits as necessary to define
scope and gain valuable information about the projects.
* Help determine necessary resources for projects based on cost
estimates and budgetary constraints.
* Define and confirm scope of work for each
subcontractor/vendor/supplier and produce written scope sheets for
a wide variety of features of work.
* Coordinate with Architects & Engineers to develop conceptual
level construction documents for bidding & planning purposes.
* Coordinate with company management to ensure estimates and
proposals are submitted in a timely & professional manner and in
the format required by the RFP.
* Work closely with other departments to ensure proper resources
included in estimates.
* Develop concise scope clarifications and qualifications to
provide clients with the basis of the estimate and mitigate project
* Provide written proposal narrative information relating to the
pricing and scheduling components.
* Develop project deliverables in a format and quality suitable for
Commercial, DOD, DOE, USACE, NASA, and various other Federal
* Perform project risk analyses to determine risk exposure, risk
mitigation measures, and contingency.
* Ability to interface with standard company business systems
(Excel, InEight, Sage Estimating, Primavera P6 scheduling, cost
accounting system, NWG Dashboard, etc.).
* Participate in meetings with project management teams to develop
project strategy and pricing approach.
* Participates actively in company business development efforts to
identify and track client and project pursuits.
* Actively build subcontractor/supplier database and relationships
to ensure the best pricing.
* Prepares properly qualified and clarified conceptual budgets
based on minimal information.
* Ensures that all important preconstruction correspondence both
internally and externally is maintained and documented.
* Maintains and communicates data on construction and material cost
trends affecting preconstruction cost databases.
* Analyzes alternative means and methods.
* Builds effective relationships with customers, design team,
specialty contractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and
support company vision, mission, and core values and meets or
exceeds the customer's expectations.
* Actively participates in industry, client and community relations
to enhance company image.
* Possess the ability to estimate a wide variety of self-performed
construction features of work.
Education: Bachelor s Degree in Engineering, Construction
Management, Building Construction, or other equivalent program
preferred. Consideration may be given to experience over education
if the experience is sufficient.
Experience: Minimum of ten (10) years commercial construction
experience with a minimum of five (5) years of estimating
experience. Design-Build & additional experience will be given
A combination of experience and education that demonstrates the
required skills, knowledge, and abilities may be considered.
Background requirements: Applicants selected may be subject to a
Federal background investigation and might be required to meet the
eligibility requirements for access to classified information or
matter. Applicants are required to have REAL ID Act compliant
documentation at time of hire.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
* Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the core processes and
procedures associated with cost estimating.
* Possess strong mathematical and computer skills. Proficiency with
MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
* Be able to understand and learn computer software programs used
for pre-construction with particular emphasis on InEight or Sage
Estimating software, eGordian/RS Means, and scheduling
* Extensive knowledge of a wide variety of construction and have
the ability to estimate self-performed features of work.
* Ability to breakdown construction operations into a logical
sequence of activities.
* Ability to work in a team environment and fit in with company
culture and processes.
* Ability to develop a comprehensive estimate with minimal
* Ability to professionally operate in a fast-paced environment
maintained by a company in a positive, controlled growth mode.
* Ability to work the hours required to support the role of Lead
* Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time needed to get
the job done.
* Effective professional oral and written communication skills
* Must possess a strong work ethic and values that are
* Must have the Ability to work independently, as well as part of a
team, and make decisions, solve problems, exercise good judgment,
work under pressure, work with minimal supervision and prioritize
* Excellent interpersonal skills; work effectively and
cooperatively with all levels of management and staff, and client
as well as outside business associates.
North Wind Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)employer
and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair
and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color,
religion,national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic
data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated
against on the basis of disability.
Keywords: North Wind Group, Jacksonville , Project Estimator, Professions , Jacksonville, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!